- Link to Full Text: http://www.techbriefs.com/component/content/article/8496
This viscometer (which can also be used as a rheometer) is designed for use with liquids over a large temperature range. The device consists of horizontally disposed, similarly sized, parallel plates with a precisely known gap. The lower plate is driven laterally with a motor to apply shear to the liquid in the gap. The upper plate is freely suspended from a double-arm pendulum with a sufficiently long radius to reduce height variations during the swing to negligible levels. A sensitive load cell measures the shear force applied by the liquid to the upper plate. Viscosity is measured by taking the ratio of shear stress to shear rate.
- Audience: scientists, materials scientists
- Date Published: 2010-09-01
- Is publication family-friendly: true
- Publication Type: Academic Paper